You might not list long johns as safety gear. But a teenager is glad he was wearing his at work — they saved him from serious injury.
Owain Bancroft, a 16-year-old apprentice at R & M Carpentry and Joiners in Penllergaer, Wales, was injured when an industrial sander got caught in his thigh.
His new thermal underwear bunched up inside the machine, stopping it just as it began cutting into his flesh.
When emergency service arrived, they decided to transport Owain to the hospital with the sander still attached.
Owain’s father brought along another sander to show medical staff how to dismantle it so they could remove it from the teen’s leg.
Luckily, Owain didn’t need surgery.
A spokesperson for R & M says it was unclear how the young man got trapped in the sander.