Here’s a reminder about the importance of guarding against slip-and-falls.
A worker slipped and fell into a vat of hot melted chocolate and died at a factory in Camden, NJ.
29-year-old Vincent Smith II was one of four workers on a platform above the vat at the Lyons & Sons facility. They were dumping solid chocolate into the vat to be melted.
After falling, he was hit by an agitator that’s used to mix the chocolate and killed.
The man appeared to have died instantly from the blow to the head from the agitator.
A co-worker slammed on an emergency shutoff switch, but it was too late.
News media accounts haven’t included details about the quality or presence of guardrails around the vat. OSHA is investigating.