As of mid-July, federal OSHA received more than 6,800 coronavirus-related complaints. Which industries and regions received the most?
Here’s the industry breakdown:
- Healthcare, including hospitals and nursing and residential care facilities: 1,840 complaints
- Retail trade, including grocery stores: 774 complaints
- Restaurants and other eating places: 294 complaints, and
- The U.S. Postal Service: 341 complaints.
Geographically, OSHA’s Region 5 (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin) had the most complaints: 1,552.
Region 4 (Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee) also had a large number of complaints: 1,386.
As of July 16, 2020, state OSHAs reported 17,013 coronavirus-related complaints.
The complaints include:
- inadequate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- improper response planning, and
- noncompliance with guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities.