A recent fatality shows once again why employees working near power lines need to plan their tasks with electrical hazards in mind.
Workers were installing a metal flag pole at a shopping center in Dalton, GA, when the pole began to fall over.
Employee Glenn Stone was electrocuted when the pole contacted high-power lines, according to the Dalton Daily Citizen.
A co-worker, Dan Driscoll, said when the pole started to topple, Stone and another worker, Jerry Shelton, tried to steady it and didn’t let go.
Shelton was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. He was transferred to another hospital with a burn unit.
A black mark could be seen near the top of the pole.
A store manager at the shopping center said emergency teams responded quickly. But for Stone, even the quickest response was too late, as he was killed instantly.