A Tyler, TX, construction company has been fined for the February death of an employee who was electrocuted while working on underground electrical lines.
Thedford Construction Co., Inc., faces $133,000 in OSHA fines in connection with the Feb. 18, 2009, death of 21-year-old Hector Moran.
An underground power line was damaged while the company was digging in front of a pad-mounted transformer.
Moran, a Hispanic employee of Thedford, was unaware and uninformed that the power line was energized and began repairing the line. That’s when he was electrocuted.
OSHA’s investigation revealed that Moran was wearing a glove with a hole in the index finger that hadn’t been tested for insulation qualities.
“All workers, regardless of whether or not they speak English, deserve a safe workplace,” said Stephen Boyd, OSHA’s area director in Dallas.
OSHA cited Thedford for two willful violations for failing to electrically test rubbed-insulated gloves at least every six months and failing to ensure that workers don’t come within two feet of energized electrical equipment.
The company also faces 10 serious violations, including failing to:
- train workers on the dangers of electrical hazards
- provide prompt medical treatment in the event of serious injuries
- issue a valid certificate to an employee to perform first-aid treatment
- provide PPE, and
- determine the exact location of underground installations.
Thedford has 15 days to accept or challenge the citations.