A worker was using a drill to attach metal panels to a food stand, balancing with one foot on a table and the other on an industrial-sized bucket of mayonnaise. Then he lost his balance.
The worker fell against the food stand, and the power drill pressed into his chest.
On November 30, 2010, Araz Saleh, 23, was rushed to a hospital in Oxford, England where he died the following day. Reports say the drill pierced his heart.
The owner of the food stand tried to stem the flow of blood but couldn’t. He then rushed to a nearby restaurant for help where staff called paramedics.
The case came to light recently in the Oxford Coroner’s Court.
A detective said despite it being “an incredibly unusual injury,” there was no evidence of foul play and police concluded the death was accidental.
The court agreed and officially recorded the death as accidental.
This story serves as a good reminder to workers: When you have to climb, use a ladder and not a chair, box, or any other substitute.
You can download a PDF on ladder safety here.