This fatality shows why it’s important for employees to follow lockout rules to the letter every time. Just one slip-up is enough to cost an employee’s life.
Jamie Vickers died from injuries he received while working at Qualico Steel in Webb, AL. He was 34.
Vickers was electrocuted. When emergency personnel arrived, CPR was already being performed, but the victim wasn’t breathing. He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Reports say Vickers was working on equipment. The power had been locked out, but it was later connected to check other equipment. The power was never disconnected again before Vickers resumed working on the original piece of equipment.