A metals manufacturer didn’t evaluate all work practices and equipment that required using de-energization procedures to keep workers safe. One of its employee paid for that mistake with his life.
What happened: An employee was repairing a portable water heater which hadn’t been de-energized first. A shot of current ripped through his body and electrocuted him. OSHA conducted a thorough investigation and wrote up the company, PM Engineered Solutions in Watertown, Connecticut, for 40 serious and eight other-than-serious violations of safety regs.
Result: Top violations uncovered were:
- 62 instances of inadequately guarded machinery, including mechanical power presses, forges, hydraulic presses and grinding machinery
- Numerous electrical safety violations, including exposed live electrical parts, uncovered electrical boxes, flexible cords used in lieu of permanent wiring and material stored in front of electrical panels
- Open or unlabeled tanks and containers of hazardous chemicals
- Missing or inadequate lockout/tagout procedures
Total fine: $236,201.