The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is calling for a renewed effort to implement the safety recommendations it suggested on its 2021 Most Wanted List of Transportation Safety Improvements.
The Most Wanted List offers 10 areas where safety can be improved by implementing open NTSB recommendations. This current list, which was issued in 2021, has been extended through 2023.
Five of the 10 areas the 2021 list focuses on is road safety. Traffic fatalities are up since the beginning of the pandemic, and in response, the NTSB has called for adoption of the Safe System Approach. The Safe System Approach protects drivers and pedestrians through changes in road and vehicle design along with use of new safety technology.
The full Most Wanted List includes:
- implementing a comprehensive strategy to eliminate speeding-related crashes
- protecting vulnerable road users through a safe system approach
- preventing alcohol- and other drug-impaired driving
- requiring collision-avoidance and connected-vehicle technologies on all vehicles
- eliminating distracted driving
- requiring and verifying the effectiveness of safe management systems in all revenue passenger-carrying aviation operations
- installing crash-resistant recorders and establishing flight data monitoring programs
- improving passenger and fishing vessel safety
- improving pipeline leak detection and mitigation, and
- improving rail worker safety.