Safety and OSHA News

3 dead, 2 injured in car dealership fire; $152K in OSHA fines

A flash fire claimed the lives of three workers at a car dealership. OSHA says failure to implement a hazard communication program resulted in the loss of lives. 

OSHA cited Carl Cannon Inc. for safety violations after three employees died and two were injured at its Jasper, AL, facility. Fines associated with the violations total $152,099.

The agency investigated following a flash fire. Inspectors found employees were using a flammable brake wash to scrub the service pit floor when the fire occurred. Three employees were fatally injured, a fourth was critically burned, and a fifth was treated for smoke inhalation and released.

OSHA issued three safety citations:

  • a willful violation for not developing or implementing a written hazard communication program ($126,749)
  • a serious violation for storage of a flammable liquid inside a building that didn’t comply with OSHA regulations ($12,675), and
  • a serious violation because equipment, wiring methods and installations of equipment in hazardous locations were not intrinsically safe, approved for the hazardous location, or safe for the hazardous location ($12,675).

Jake Jennings, 39; Javan Robinson, 20; and Zack Davis, 20 all died in the fire.

The car dealership has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings to the Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

Print Friendly

Subscribe Today

Get the latest and greatest safety news and insights delivered to your inbox.

Comments

  1. Dr. Tom Rezner says:

    Some how they got off cheap. Only 152K in fines for 3 dead. They must have a friend at OSHA.

  2. Interesting coincidence here. A few days ago, at a family get together, my brother and I were talking about a flash fire/explosion that seriously injured one of our neighbors. This was about 35-40 years ago when our neighbors garage exploded. My brother told me that the man was scrubbing his garage floor with gasoline and his water heater ignited the fumes. It makes me wonder how common that scenario is and how many people have been injured by it.

Speak Your Mind

*